Friday 30 January 2015

A Day In The Life Of Lisle Compton

My response to my coaches request of a play by play of today 3km skate prologue:



As I woke up in the morning, sun was trickling through the window. i looked outside and noticed a deep dusting of snow.  I was rudely awakened by a rude girl named Elora. the team and I decided to go for a slight jog (15 min). When we came through the door, we could smell the delightful smell of bobs steel cut oats roasting over the flaming stove top. After breakfast we packed, found great Instagram opportunities and packed a lunch.
around 11:45 AM (eastern time) we hopped in the beached whale AKA the blue van, and headed to the race course. It took us 23 minutes and 22 seconds. We found the perfect parking spot and headed to the chalet. We set at up camp at beautiful bench, which included a table. 
As I walked outside to start my warmup I took note of the surrounding environment: Condition: sky’s where Mainly Clear, Pressure: 102.4 kPa, Tendency: rising, Visibility: 24 km, Temperature: -15.5°C, Dewpoint: -20.9°C, Humidity: 64%, Wind: NW 23 gust 39 km/h, Wind Chill: -25

“Freedom is such a gift.” -Ryan Gosling

I did a 39.4 minute warm up, and took in the immense beauty of the Gatineau area. The trees standing tall, swaying back and forth in the strong wind. The birds quietly chirping in the background. It was a full moon, you could just make out the cries of the nearby local francophone wolves. My warmup included a 3 minute interval, with a 3 minute rest followed by a 2 min on, 2 min off, than 1:30 on, 130 off and finally 1 min on 1 min off. 

“I love being Canadian. I think growing up in Canada gives you a world perspective that I certainly enjoy.”-Ryan Gosling 

Off to the start line!!!! I felt relaxed, fairly relaxed. As the wind blew through my luscious pony tail, I realized the wind was strong. And I felt nervous for the wind to have to hit me at such a high speed. As I was caught up in the moment i reflected on a quote I once read. “ But that's where I am, there's no escaping it. Time's a trap, I'm caught in it”. -Unknown with 5 minutes  and 23.4 seconds to my start,  I took off my white, red, orange, and grey Kenora nordic and biathlon jacket, it was slightly sweaty after my intense warmup. I could fell the frigid air cutting straight to the bone. I grabbed my skis and walked at a pace of 2.31m/s towards the starting line. fg= -510.12 N, FN= 510.12 N  acceleration = .643 m/s. it took approximately  32 seconds. 

“If people want to put me on their walls, ill love it.” -Ryan Gosling 

As I stood in the starting gate, glancing reluctantly towards the starting clock. The clock ticked down from 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, I didn't get to see what came after 3 because i was already gone. heralding down the trail, with pristine technique, coaches were in awe. my beautiful technique blew everyone away, i even managed to hear a comment from a Stefan Khun. (AWAC) “is that johaug”. As i continued down the trail, i powered up the first hill, keeping the girl in font of me insight,  i began to gain on her.  I did some insane hop skate, and literately flew up the hill, the next feature of the course was a long downhill, followed by a long rolling up and down section, where i managed to pass two girls. There was than a 40 degree angle up hill that was quite a “slop fest” -Ben Dearing. As I was passed through the stadium i could hear the chants of 500 people cheering my name. I gave the audience a quick nod of approval as i re-evaluated my priorities an become once again focused in the race. All that was left was a slight uphill, followed by a hairpin turn back into the stadium. I killed this section and gave’r  into the finish line. Where  the chants of my name grew louder, the hope of the podium glimmered in my eye, as i shed a tear. unfortunately the tear froze and my dreams got crushed.

 “For me, I sort of felt like it was kind of a fairytale... but an interesting one. I don't know of anybody who has had a romance quite like this, but I certainly know people who have stuck it out.” -Ryan Gosling


All in all it was a good race and a good experience, super happy with my results. :)


-Lisle 




No comments:

Post a Comment