Tuesday 3 March 2015

Canada Games

I think I speak for everyone when I say that Team Manitoba had an amazing time at Canada Games. Unfortunately we were too busy to update the blog while we were there. Here are some highlights and pictures from the games.

We flew out on the disney plane which was kinda cool and also a bit weird since we were not going to Disney land. We had a charter flight with all team Manitoba and we arrived early afternoon.

The next day we pre skied the two classic courses. The courses at Otway were fun. They call one of the upper sections the race maze and that is exactly what it is. It was up and down and then back up and down over and over. It was fast and icy and the corners were a little scary and had me worried I was going to fly off a ledge if I didn't step turn fast enough.

One of the highlights from the trip included the synchronized swimming team coming out and cheering for our whole team on our mass start skate race. Going by them on the course was like going by a giant wall of yellow. They screamed their heads off and were ringing their cowbells like crazy. They are very good at cheering and I somehow found the energy to hop skate when I went by them. Thank you synchro team! We also went to watch the team synchro finals on our off day and we were very impressed by them and by their ability to smile during their entire routine.

Also congratulations to Jesse and his guide Brendan on their Silver and Bronze medals! Watching them ski together was really cool to watch.

Pin trading was very intense at the games. Some people like Maya were highly skilled at it and managed to fill their entire accreditation lanyard up. Some pins were of such high value people were trading them away for jackets and hats. I was not very good at pin trading because I kept accidentally letting cute little kids rip me off.

The Manitoba ski team ate better than any other team there. Pauline worked her magic and we had quinoa to eat every race day! What is a trip without quinoa. The cooks also provided us with a blender and Pam made smoothies for the whole team for breakfast. They had a chocolate milk tap there as well and I don't think I've ever drank more chocolate milk in my life. Lisle also enjoyed the food and rumor has it she ate 13 donuts after our last race.

The athlete lounge was in a big library which was pretty nice. Lisle says her favourite part of the games was the life size jenga game. When it was staacked really high it was proabably 8 or 9 feet tall. I think Lisle probably liked this game so much because we were playing it with some BC snowboarders.

The library was also a good place to relax and do homework, I managed to get some done but I think there was too much stuff going on and a few people are a tad behind on school work now. I also decided to write this blog right now instead of doing the stack of homework I have and I will proabbly find something else "important" to do after this.

On the team relay day the girls did 4x3.75km and the boys 4x5km. The whole team dressed up with face paint, ribbon and hairspray. Both teams did really well in the relays each coming in 6th place. When the girls finished we painted TOBA! onto our stomachs and went out to cheer for the boys. We were also able to spell BOAT! when we rearranged ourselves which was also very useful.I was the exclamation mark.

After the closing ceremonies we had a few hours to trade gear with the other provinces. It was a very stressful few hours. Everyone was after the Yukon jackets. I was not persuasive enough to get one of them, and I had to send other people to do my trades and charm people out of their clothing. If you see a whole bunch of skiers around in Yukon, Quebec and BC jackets and hats, its actually just the Manitoba ski team.

Thank you especially to our great coaches and support team! Everything went really smoothly our skis were fast and everyone was happy, you are the best.

here is a link to a video I made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLleW6i9gnY
Apparently the video is not working on mobile. I will work on this. It should work on computers or laptops. mobile link this second link should work for mobile
also feel free to share our blog on your facebook or twitter or however you want


Elora
bus selfie









me and the synchro team cheering squad










spotted on TSN























No comments:

Post a Comment